Mayer Brown is one of the world's leading business law firms with offices in key financial centres across the Americas, Asia, Europe, and the Middle East and an association with Tauil & Chequer Advogados in Brazil. We serve many of the world's largest companies, including a significant proportion of the Fortune 100, FTSE 100, DAX and Hang Seng Index companies, together with global leaders in major industries.
To advance our position as one of the world's leading international business law firms we build close relationships with our clients in order to serve them more effectively across our global platform. As a major financial centre for international business and commerce, London lies at the very heart of our global vision.
We encourage all our people to use their skills to support the wider community through our pro bono and community volunteering programmes. We are also committed to managing our impact on the environment and our London office is ISO 14001 certified. At Mayer Brown the principles of mutual respect, dignity and understanding are central to the way we work and help to provide an environment where diversity and inclusion are embraced.
· Complying with all internal policies, procedures and processes and keeping technical skills up to date.
· Accurately typing and amending correspondence and documents.
· Preparing materials (often using PowerPoint) for presentations.
· Proactive diary management – making diary appointments, arranging meetings, booking all logistics, preparing paperwork, etc.
· Managing fee-earners' emails as required and dealing with email queries as appropriate.
· Organising travel arrangements.
· Quickly and accurately preparing bills, ensuring they are sent out quickly, liaising with Accounts and/or other departments.
· Assisting with timesheet posting if required.
· Carrying out conflicts checks and opening and closing files in conjunction with fee-earners.
· Departmental admin, including copying, printing and scanning.
· Providing proactive support to fee-earners.
· Being one step ahead at all times, anticipating requests and issues before they arise and offering solutions.
· Taking ownership and control of all diary, meeting, email and day/organisational management for fee-earners
· Gaining an understanding of fee-earners' work and building relationships with clients and their PAs.
· Assisting with business development initiatives, e.g. organising client lunches, seminars, events, training (internal and external), etc.
· Proactively managing all fee-earner work, delegating and prioritising tasks on a daily basis, taking ownership of all tasks to completion.
· Completing paper and electronic filing and archiving quickly and accurately.
· Having first class communication skills and taking ownership for internal/external queries in a polite and professional manner.
· Maintaining confidentiality and discretion at all times, flagging any concerns or issues at the appropriate level.
· Providing back-up support for other secretaries and/or fee-earners as required to ensure the smooth running of the business.
· Undertake any other projects and ad hoc responsibilities as required by SSM and/or group head.
- A secretarial qualification would be an advantage.
- Educated to GCSE or O Level standard or equivalent, A Level preferable.
· Accurate spelling, grammar and punctuation.
· Strong technical skills, Word and Outlook and Excel, PowerPoint.
· Experience working with InterAction and Chrome River desirable but not essential.
· Personable, flexible and enthusiastic approach to team work.
· Good, articulate telephone manner.
· Self-starter, able to use initiative and provide proactive support to fee-earners.
· Able to pay attention to detail, particularly with emails, and to check own work.
· Reliable and well organised.
· Able to work under pressure within strict deadlines and take responsibility for their work.
At Mayer Brown, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment that offers our people the opportunity and support they need to succeed. We are therefore happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments that individuals may require throughout the recruitment process and once they have joined the Firm.
In addition, one of our core values at Mayer Brown is to promote diversity and inclusion at all levels within the business which is actively supported by our diversity networks - LGBT+, Fusion (BAME), Women, and Work and Me (Family).